La Ferme de Longues, three super toddler-friendly gites, a short stroll from the local beach & village in NormandyPosted by Sachelle, 4th February 2020 at 09:08
La Ferme de Longues is home to three wonderful child-friendly gites (cottages) in Normandy. Situated only 40 minutes from Caen (Ferry Port) and a short 700m stroll to the local beach (Longues-sur-Mer).
La Ferme de Longues...
There is a road which winds down to the beach and the beach is a quiet, clean shingle beach perfect for rock pooling, skimming stones, walking, paddling and fossil hunting. Children can spend hours playing with the large pebbles & paddling in the sea. Perched on the cliffs above the beach is the Batterie de Longues – a German gun placement from WW2 which is now a historic site. The Batterie is surrounded by lots of grassy knolls which are ideal for children to play on.
The grounds & gites at Le Ferme de Longues have been specifically designed with toddlers in mind. Infact, bookings are only taken from families with at least one child under five! There are two, three-bedroom self-catering holiday cottages (one sleeps five guests and the other six) and a cosy two-bedroom cottage ideal for a family of three. Each cottage has a designated nursery with a wooden cot, toddler bed and a changing table.
Within the grounds there is lots to keep little ones entertained. There is a wonderful indoor play barn with a small trampoline & football table plus loads of other toys. Outside in the gardens there is a slide, swings, Wendy house, ride-on toys and a bouncy castle. Plus, lovely wooden hammocks and loungers to take advantage of the sunny and shady corners of the garden should mum & dad get a few minutes to relax!
There are also animals on site - chickens, rare breed sheep, a goat, two horses and a cat! Children can visit the animals and they are welcome to feed them.
The friendly owners, Laure and Mathieu, live on site with their young children and are happy to offer advice on things to see and do in the area.
The local village of Longues-sur-Mer is within walking distance and has a lovely café offering meals at lunch time - there is also a Boulangerie for the all-important French bread & breakfast croissants! On Friday mornings the butcher's van visitsthe village, and on Friday evening there is a pizza van – a perfect holiday treat!
Normandy is famous for its wonderful beaches & there are plenty of activities to keep families entertained. See below our top 5 Toddler Friendly activities in Normandy which are close to La Ferme de Longues:
1) Festyland – a great theme park with lots of rides for younger ones including a Carousel, Frogs, spinning barrels, Festyboats and a large Viking play area. More details on the rides available can be seen on the website. There are shops, restaurants and picnic areas on site and children under 95cms get in free!
2) Bayeux – is just 8kms away and is home to the famous Bayeux Tapestry which tells the story of William the Conqueror’s invasion of England in 1066. The town is beautiful - there is a cathedral to visit, or simply enjoy wandering the streets, looking in the quirky boutiques, and stopping for refreshment breaks in the numerous cafes.
Bayeux was one of the first towns to be liberated by the allies in 1944 and has an interesting museum devoted to the D Day landings.
Also, near Bayeux is the fabulous new Bayeux Adventure park, with plenty of fun activities for all the family - grandparents get in free! Just some of the activities are pony rides, toddler adventure playground, mini farm, a maize maze and huge inflatable bouncy castles for both children and adults.
3) Royal Kids Caen – a HUGE indoor play centre for children from babies up to 12 years old. There are ball pits, slides, climbing frames and electric ride ons. For the parents there is WiFi and a great café. One thing to note is parents & children must wear socks!
4) Cerza Zoo –a lovely safari park in Normandy., where the animals live in semi freedom. The safari train will take you on a trip to see the brown bears& rhinos plus other unusual breeds of animals. Visitors are also able to feed the giraffes, lemurs, rainbow lorikeets and giant kangaroos, wow what an amazing experience! Cerza safari park is a wonderful day out for little ones that love animals.
5) Beaches – Normandy is home to many wonderful huge sandy beaches.
A local favourite is Arromanches (only 5kms away) with its miles of golden sand. The town has lots of cafes & restaurants for lunch and there is also a museum of the D Day landings. There are some lovely cliff top walks with amazing views of the town & beach.
If you’re looking for a wonderful toddler friendly self-catering holiday in Normandy, close to the beach and ferry port, the gites at La Ferme de Longues could be ideal for your young family and we have a Special Promotion! If you book a week, to stay in April or May, at La Ferme de Longues via Holiday Tots, you will receive a €50 discount:
La Ferme de Longues...